18 April 2009

The Men of Team 915: The Wasps




Soccer Saturday.  And these are the little men on the Wasps.  Today, they played the Dragonflies.

The reason we are here on the damp, grassy field with cleats and water bottles and sunscreen quickly fades from my present memory.  Before I know it, I am lost in the familiar trance--the spell of watching someone I love so much...watching his every step fall, his delight in his dancing feet, the swinging of his arms, his dark curls.

It is only day one of soccer, his first "team" sport--his first team day.
And I feel like I've been here a hundred times before--loving this boy as strong as the springtime sun.  Loving him down to his sole(s).  And watching those curls unfurl.












1 comment:

Kehaunani Hubbard said...

Savannah 1st soccer experience was with the Beverly Hills soccer league @ a park a few minutes walk from the house. It was a team of 5 & 6 years olds. They would mainly huddle en masse around the ball, while some players chased butterflies. Savannah would mainly observe the mass of girls. This activity was Wade's responsibility while I was in charge of loftier pursuits: art, cultural outings and trips to the ocean. I still have Wade's soccer chair that I gifted him at the beginning of the first season, a dark forest green collapsible chair with silk-screened soccer balls. Now that Savannah is playing in a community league here I have both our portable chairs in the trunk, bringing Wade's along so he knows I am now carrying his soccer torch.